HMS Loch Fada was the lead ship of the Royal Navy Loch-class frigates, and built by John Brown & Company of Clydebank, Scotland. Laid down on 8 June 1943, launched on 14 December, and commissioned in April 1944. She was attached to Captain Johnny Walker's 2nd Escort Group, which was detailed to guard the Western Approaches of the British Isles. The painting shows the ship in her Western Approaches wartime camouflage, on patrol off Land's End. After decommissioning in 1969 she was used as a testbed in the development of Sea Wolf surface-to-air missiles, and was finally scrapped in 1970.
Honours and awards: Normandy 1944, English Channel 1945, Atlantic 1945.