Colony-class Light Cruiser
Ordered in December 1937 from Alexander Stephens of Govan Glasgow under the 1937 Estimates and laid down as Job No 566, on 18 June 1938.
She was launched by HRH The Duchess of Gloucester on 18 August 1939 and completed on 28 August 1940.
During 1941 she saw action in Force H and Malta convoys, sinking the German tanker Kota Pinang on 3 October 1941 and helping destroy nine German vessels in the Vaagso raid on 29 December 1941.
Her bow was damaged by an Italian torpedo during Operation Pedestal on the 13 August 1942 and she underwent repairs and refit in the UK until the end of that year.
In 1943 she joined the Eastern Fleet where she operated until the end of the war.
Following a post-war refit she joined the 8th Cruiser Squadron in Bermuda at the end of 1946 and visited many ports in the US, finally coming home to pay-off into reserve at the close of 1947.
After another refit she joined the 5th Cruiser Squadron as Flagship C-in-C Far East 1950-51, carrying out landings, evacuations and bombardments during the Korean War. She then became Flagship C-in-C East Indies 1952-53.
Again paying-off into reserve at Rosyth during 1954, she was refitted and re-commissioned for service on 15 August1955 and became Flagship C-in-C America and West Indies the following year and transferring to the Home Fleet in November.
In 1957 she became Flagship of Flag Officer Flotillas, taking part in joint exercises with the Home and Mediterranean Fleet.
On the 24 May 1958 she arrived at Portsmouth for the last time and was placed on the disposal list early the following year arriving at Faslane for breaking on 27 October 1962.