Illustrious-class Fleet Carrier
HMS Victorious (R38) was built by Vickers Armstrong (Barrow) as an Illustrious class fleet carrier. She was launched on the 14 September 1939 and commissioned on the 15 May 1941. Following an active wartime career, she was extensively modernized from 1950 to 1958, to operate the new jets. She is pictured in her mid-1960s guise with Sea Vixen FAW2. At this time her length was 778 feet, with a standard displacement of 30,000 tons and a speed of 30 knots. After a small on board fire, she was scrapped in 1969.