Antarctic Patrol Vessel
HMS Protector (A146) Antarctic Patrol Ship built as a fast net layer at Messrs Yarrow & Co Ltd, Glasgow in August 1935 and commissioned on the 30 December 1936. She was struck by an aerial torpedo whilst on wartime duties in the Med, and spent from 1942-45 undergoing major repairs in Bombay. It was in 1954 that she was converted for her new role as Ice Patrol Ship. Protector was equipped with a flight deck and hangar to house the two Westland Whirlwind helicopters she carried. She was 346ft long, with a maximum speed of 19 knots. In 1968 HMS Protector was taken out of service and scrapped in 1970. The painting is currently displayed on board the current HMS Protector.